I really should be in bed, but as this week ends and another begins, I thought I better put some thoughts down. This week seemed to go by so fast, and January even faster.
On Sunday we went out to Preston to celebrate my father-in-laws birthday. Joyce and Lindsay made a delicious dinner and cake. Grandpa had a lot of help opening his presents from Spencer, Landon, and Chase. Milly enjoyed playing with the wadded up wrapping paper. It was as we were getting ready to leave that we heard on the news about President Hinckley's passing.
Rachel stayed home from school on Monday with an upset stomach. That night for FHE we went out to S&S with the Tibbitts to ride the Beetle Bouncer.
Tuesday and Wednesday Rachel was home again. She had actually gone to school Wednesday morning, but I had to pick her up after she got sick in PE. Tuesday morning I took Spencer and Milly to the Cache Valley Fun Park to play on the soft playground. There was a school field trip there, so it was crawling with what looked like 11-12 year olds. The soft play wasn't really built with 2 year olds in mind, but we had fun. Spencer wouldn't go down the slides, but Milly and I did. She loved it! He had fun running around and jumping. Then they played on the arcade games for a bit. They liked the driving games, and didn't seem to notice that I never put any quarters into the machine!
I was supposed to start my Quilting Club with Joyce and Lindsay on Wednesday, but Lindsay's boys came down with ear infections, and Joyce got a horrible cough and cold. I was so disappointed! They have been quilting for years and are so talented. They inspired me to start quilting myself, and I finished my first pieced quilt on Christmas Day. I have made a few baby blankets, and I made the sampler in my quilting class. We are going to meet once a month for a quilting day while the big kids are at school. I have two quilts I'm working on right now, that I'm excited to finish.
Thursday was the last day of both paper routes. Words can not express how happy I am to have that over with. The children and I all made a good little share of money from it, but that is not worth the fighting and contention it caused every morning. I was very disappointed in all of us for not keeping our tempers and words in check better. Daniel stayed home Thursday with an upset tummy, but was feeling well enough to spread Lincoln Logs and Lego's all over the living room with Daniel. We had another snow storm hit in the afternoon. I had Josh out shoveling, and then decided to relieve him and finish the job myself. That is such back breaking work. It really is not fun, but at the same time is strangely rewarding. Kind of like gardening. I shoveled my drive, as well as my two neighbors side walks. Thursday night we went over to Carol's for the 4th season premiere of LOST. I so love that show. It does not answer once single question or mystery, but only heaps more and more on you...but it's still so good! I know they were only able to film 6 or 8 episodes before the dumb writers strike. They best be having that worked out before LOST runs out of shows!
Friday morning was the first morning with just the River Heights route. It was so funny how little the stack of papers on the porch. We had a lot of snow through the night, and all my shoveling from the night before was completely covered. Some of the roads in Providence had been plowed, but not the ones in River Heights. Sadly, Daniel had asked Josh if he could do the route one last time. I love him so much...but he tends to be very slow on the route. This morning was worse then usual as he was complaining about a tummy ache again. I wasn't buying it, as he had seemed fit as a fiddle after staying home from school yesterday. I teased him about winning an academy award only to have him come home and throw up. Man! I hate when I am a mean mom like that. I helped him with the route, but because of his tummy ache it took us 1 hour and 20 minutes to do the route.
This morning Josh and I did the paper route. He woke me up a little before 6:00AM, and we were done by 6:30!! It was so great to be done that fast. We came home and I crawled in bed with DJ to get a little more sleep. Ended up sleeping until 9:30. Yes! After getting breakfast and playing Pick, we all settled in to watch President Hinckley's funeral.
The funeral was lovely, and the talks and music were so good. I was very grateful for the technology that allowed us to participate. I thought of all the other Prophets that have lived on the Earth and wondered how quickly word of their deaths had spread, how the people felt, and what was done for funerals. During President Eyring's talk, Milly got quite cranky, so I took her upstairs to get her to sleep. I watched the rest of it in my room. The final song, with the pictures of that wonderful man brought on my tears. I worried that Milly, sleeping on my chest, would wake up from how hard I was crying. How blessed I feel to have 'known' President Hinckley. As the funeral ended I got to my knees and thanked my Father in Heaven for my membership in His church, and for the blessing of knowing we are led by a Prophet. I was touched by the life of President Hinckley and by his character, and asked my Heavenly Father to help me 'stand a little taller' myself, and live up to my full potential.
In the middle of the funeral services our mail carrier dropped off a package for me from my cousin Catherine. Catherine had read my blog entry about how much I hate my new hair cut and had sent me a hair care package. Inside was shampoo, conditioner, and leave in treatments from the beauty supply store. No more Suave! She also sent two chapsticks, some stretch mark cream, face cream, and a check for $20!!! Why is she so good to me? I don't deserve it. Cath has her hands full with her three young children, as well as her health issues, but she is always thinking of me. She is a great cousin and a great friend, and I am so thankful for her. Even though she is a good 5 or 6 years older than me, we ended up at BYU together back in '89. We grew very close there and have been great friends ever since. Cath~if you are reading this, know that I love you very much!
This afternoon Rachel and I went to the gym to work out. My cousin, Madi, met us there. I ran 2 miles, did weights, and then did some bike. Rachel and I were feeling like we just aren't where we want to be in order to pull off a half marathon in May. I should be up to a 5 or 6 mile long run on Saturdays by now, and I'm so not even close! I have a hard time getting away for more than an hour. We talked it over and decided we would be fine just doing the 5K. Truthfully, I'm a biker and a walker, much more than I'm a runner. I really enjoy a good 3 mile run. But after 4 it starts to lose it's fun for me. I called my folks to tell them we would just do the 5K, but too bad for us, Papa Trace has already paid our entrance fee. Looks like we are doing the half marathon after all. I haven't broken it to Rachel yet. However, I think we will walk/run it with my mom. And I'm good with that.
Spencer has kept me entertained all week as only a 2 year old can. His latest is to have us repeat back words to him, the way we do when we are trying to get him to pronounce something right. He will say to me, "Say Egg...Muffin." Tonight he wanted some fruity pebbles just before bedtime. I was getting him some and said to him, "Do you know why I'm getting this for you?" He answered, "Because you love me so much!"
Milly is such the walker. She has gone from just walking back and forth a few steps between Ryan and I, to getting herself up and taking off on her own. She was chasing Spencer earlier and they were both laughing so hard. I'm sure it will only be another two weeks or so before she'll be running! She is such a silly girl. She can walk, go up and down stairs, feed herself finger food, speak a few words, sign more, and down ice cream sandwiches like a pro. But the girl will not hold her own bottle. What's that about?
The big kids don't seem to change developmentally as quickly as the babies, but they are still so fun to watch. It is so interesting to see their very different personalities, interests, talents, strengths, and struggles. I want them to stay my little kidlets forever, and yet with each day they are getting closer and closer to adulthood and leaving the nest. It is so daunting to wonder if I have prepared them enough to face the challenges that life has to offer. Josh will be 16 this year. He only has 3 1/2 school years before he graduates. Then he goes on a mission. He was a little baby learning to walk yesterday. How can he already be a young man on the verge of going out into the world?
Milly is squaking on my lap, so I must end this post. I would like to end with something meaningful, but she is about to wake the kids, so goodnight!