Friday, January 11, 2008

More Goals

Well, I've made it four nights in a row with getting my laundry put away before bed. That is so HUGE for me. And sadly, so hard. Last night I was just so tired, and it was such a little pile, that I was tempted to leave it. But I stayed the course, and I'm glad I did.
Most of the other goals are coming along great. I think I'm being pretty patient with the children. My weakest moments are during the paper routes. Sweet DJ is just so slow! Half of the time! Sometimes he runs and races Josh, and other times you'd think he was 90 years old and using a cane! I have to seriously pray for strength to be kind while they are delivering. Sad. I am so anxious for us to go back to just one route. It was nice to think of the fun money, but it's just too much, and too hard on all 7 of us in different ways.
Sometimes I miss my extra income from when I worked full time. But if I had to choose between being home with my kidlets and "things" the kidlets would win every time. I get the greedies on a daily basis. I want new carpet, or a new van, or a new this or that. It helps me to remember the wonderful Hill Tribes of Thailand who have NOTHING! My mom had me imagine once what it would be like to bring a little tribal mom to my home for a day. What would she think of the food, the plumbing, the furniture, the clothes, the toys, the electronics, etc. I do wonder why some people, like me, get such great lives, and so many blessings, while others are born into poverty or war torn countries. I think about what is going on in Africa or the Middle East and I thank my Father in Heaven that isn't my life. But I still wonder why it has to be someone else's. I think we are so materialistic in this country and take so much for granted. It's rather sickening. And I'm as guilty as the next guy. I remember when I went to the Humanitarian Center and had such an amazing experience. I was going to be different. I was going to change. I felt so humbled. I swore I would not complain about my carpet ever again. That didn't last. Then in Thailand, it was so very humbling to actually see the people and the way they lived in person. They had NOTHING. Yet, they were still so happy and so full of gratitude and kindness. I absolutely fell in love with the people and the country. I also swore, yet again, that I'd be different. And yet as I go to bed at night, I imagine in my mind how I would decorate my dream house. Pathetic!
So, I have my major goals that I outlined earlier this week. But I also have some project goals that I want to work on this year as well. After years of envying my mother-in-law and sister-in-law's quilting talent, I took a class and learned some basics. I have made a few baby blankets before now, but that was it. In the class I sewed an awesome sampler that is hanging in my family room (still waiting for me to put the back on it and the edge). For Christmas I made my parents the cutest Dick & Jane quilt. It was a lot of work...and it is not a cheap hobby. But I love it! I am in the early stages of a quilt for Daniel's bed, and a quilted cover for my old feather blanket. I had started to redo a quilt my Grandma Skeen had made me ages ago, but it was a mess, because I started before I knew what the heck it meant to measure. So I have to redo that as well. So, finishing those three quilts are a goal.
I also want to get my pictures organized. For years my pictures sat in boxes. Then a few years ago I started scrap booking. I enjoyed it until I would see other people's pages. I have been blessed with many talents. Scrapping really isn't one of them. I have drawers full of stuff that my friend Sophia could work wonders with, but in my hands will be bearable, at best. So, what I'd really like to do is get everything sorted and then have everything put on CD's. Then I can save pictures with much less space and look into doing some of the electronic scrapping.
My last project I started last fall. I'm writing a novel for my sisters. My plan had been to have it finished for them by Christmas, but it might end up being this Christmas. I think it's a good story with fun characters. We'll see what they think. I've always wanted to be a writer, and I'm quite jealous of JK Rowling and Stephanie Meyers. If I could just get an idea like there's that sweeps the literary world by storm! But for now I'll content myself with an audience made up of family and friends.
My goals are many, and their big. But when you wake up to a room void of clean laundry waiting to be folded, there's no limit to what you can do!