Dear Friends & Family,
I wish I could send pictures with this letter! We flew out of Bangkok yesterday and arrived in Chiang Rai Province. We were met at the airport by Nan, the owner of My Dream Guest House. He is so awesome. He is 36 and a member of the Karen Tribe. He speaks very good english and is a very funny nice man. He and his wife are Christians. They run a beautiful little bungalow 'hotel' on the banks of the Mae Kok River. We took a van ride over really scary roads about 30 miles outside of Chiang Rai to get here. Words can not describe the beauty of this place. It is like we have stepped back in time. This is so remote. The homes are on stilts, with bamboo walls, and thatched roofs (including what we are staying in.) There are pigs and chickens in every yard. Rice fields are everywhere. This is not a tourist destination. Mom and some of the girls were about ready to cry when they saw where we were staying...but I was very excited. It is so authentic! We will be living like the people for three days. Our bungalow is on stilts, and has wooden window shutters with no glass. There is a sink and toilet in the bathroom, but the shower is just a hose on the wall with no stall. It is so beautiful. I am so filled with love for these people who have this as their Earth life, and honestly quite jealous. How wonderful to have a life that knows no materialism, that is just about family and work. I almost feel like I got jipped getting a life as 'good' as I did. Our priorities and how we spend our time is messed up!
Nan and his wife, Ponlae, have a little kitchen where they cook for us. Last night for dinner we had chicken phat thai, sweet and sour pork, and cashew chicken with rice. We WAY over ordered. We ordered 15 plates between the 10 of us and were dying, because we didn't want to be rude by not eating it all. It was so delicious. Nan's wife does not speak english, but she is very nice, with a ready smile.
It is much colder here, and poor Ryan has come down with a cough. We slept well and this morning went on a short walk. I got great pictures of pigs, puppies, chickens, and a darling little 5 year old boy. We are about to have breakfast, and then our day will include a trip to the hot springs, riding elephants, and playing ultimate frisbee with the local school children. We might raft down the Mae Kok as well.
I am just loving it here and so grateful for this experience. I'm so glad that I read up so much before coming so that I have a frame of reference for their beliefs and culture.
I still miss my little monkey friend, Latte, and wish I could bring her home.
Love, Jamie