Sunday, January 13, 2008

Letters From Thailand 7

Dear Kids,

We are having so much fun. Yesterday we went to a hot springs and to the village of Chaing Rai. Some stuff is very inexpensive. We came back to our camp by long tail boat. It was a long ride and my bottom is sore. Last night we taught ultimate Frisbee to the kids of this village. They had a ton of fun and loved playing. These kids have so little but are so happy. Yesterday they had a day off from school but they had to spend it in the rice fields working. Today we are going trekking to see several villages that live way up in the hills. I might even get to drive one of the jeeps. Pray for everyone that we will be safe. I miss everyone and am excited to come home. Keep being good for grandma. Love you.

Dad

Dear Kidlets,

I miss you! I wish you could have been here to play with the village children last night. They were so cute! We gave them a glow in the dark Frisbee and the little glow necklaces. They were so funny with ultimate Frisbee. We demonstrated how to play, and then let them play with Lindsey and I being the ‘goalies’. They weren’t quite playing by the rules, but they were having lots of fun and laughing. They got very competitive, and one cute little boy was a ball hog like Uncle Cody and Uncle Bundy. He would rip the Frisbee out of the other kids hands! After the kids were done playing, some of the moms were tossing it to each other. It was so cool. The children are so beautiful and so respectful. They are do a ‘wai’ and say ‘khup khun ka’ (thank you) for everything. One little girl was very friendly and latched on to Lindsey with hugs and hand holding. She was at our place this morning looking for her and was full of hugs and giggles. Nan says she has some mental problems, and some of the children won’t play with her. But she has one good friend who is kind to her. She is 15, but a young 15, Nan said. I told her I had a cute 15 year old son!

I told Dad yesterday that I wished we could move here with you guys. I wish you could lead this simple of a life, even if just for 6 months or a year. There is a purity and simplicity about this way of life and these people that I envy.

I will write my group letter next. I got lost yesterday from everyone. It was quite a scary adventure for all of us. Be looking for my next letter. I love you all sooooo much!!

Love, Mom